- 9 receptions, 84 yards
- 3 rushes, 99 yards, 1 TD
- 3 punt returns, 101 yards, 1 TD
15 touches over 2 games (that is including punt returns) for a Heisman candidate is too low. Of course there are reasons for this...
1) DeSean Jackson is to blame - 70+ yards plays do not make for long drives and eliminate touches for everyone.
2) Too much talent - Jahvid Best had his own 60+ yard play and once Cal gets up, Forsett and Montgomery, grind out yards, move the chains and eat up clock.
3) Too many options - The attention paid to Jackson leaves other receivers open. Sometimes, wide open. It is hard to complain when a QB checks down to the man with no one standing around him.
Notice I did not put "He is being double teamed" as one of the reasons. Tha1, regardless of the defense, has the skills, speed and experience to get open. The only number that really needs to go up are his receptions. Here is what I think would be ideal.
- 8 receptions per game based on getting thrown to 10-12 times per game
- at least 3 attempts downfield
- a couple screen
- a couple outs, comebacks
- a couple posts
- 2 carries per game
- pass thrown behind the line of scrimmage
- 2 punt returns per game
- team will not punt to him but some might end up returnable
- Cal defense has not YET shown the ability to make teams punt a lot