Here are a couple more thoughts about Cal's big win over Tennessee and college football in general.
- Jahvid Best looks like the real deal. But let's not forget James Montgomery. I think Montgomery will get some more PT against CSU and gets some big yards.
- I retract my earlier statement about DeSean Jackson and kickoffs. Since no one will punt to him anymore (though the CSU head coach has said that he will punt to Jackson), let's get him back there on kickoffs so he can get more touches.
- On another note, DeSean will get his catches. Even with the bracket coverage by Tennessee there were a couple opportunities where Jackson was open but Nate just checked down. There was one particular play in the 3rd quarter where Jackson had both the DB and safety completely turned around and was running up the middle of the field. But just as he was making his move, Nate has already tossed the ball to Morrah, who in Nate's defense, was wide open and ran for another 8 yards before a Volunteer touched him.
- I am a big, big Craig Stevens fan. The guy is an All American tight end for sure. But, seeing Cameron Morrah make some big catches (and 1 big drop) makes me feel better about the tight end position. Expect Stevens and Morrah to get plenty of big plays up the middle of the seams as the wide receivers force DB's to cover out wide.
- Marcus Ezzef??? I looked back on my posts and did not see his name mentioned once. But I saw him making plays on the field and he looks good. I saw 2 great open field tackles on Tennessee tailbacks on swing passes and a great pass defense.
- DeCoud and Hicks are monster hitters. But guys, look up sometimes rather than go for the big hit. There were at least 2 Ainge floaters that should have been intercepted by a ball hawking safety.
- Michigan is a 6 point favorite over Oregon. Really?? Man, does that make App St. 8 points favroites over Oregon?
- Cal moved up 2 spots in both polls. We are now in the top 10. Michigan received no votes. Ohio State apparently did not win by enough to stay in front of Cal. USC apparently did not embarrass Idaho enough as some voters moved their first place vote to Florida, who I assume did embarrass Western Kentucky enough to show that they are the top team. Did you see Tebow throw for 300 yards against Western Kentucky? Man, that truly shows that he does have an arm. I mean Western Kentucky is the App St of the south. (Most of this note was sarcastic, I hope you noticed).
- So there are Cal viewing parties in NYC. Check out Cal vs CSU at MJ Armstrong on 1st Ave and 19th St. I will be there, look for the guy in the Cal shirt.